Thenkuzhal murukku is a flavourful and crispy snack. It is a mandatory recipe for Diwali in all south Indian house. The name Murukku is a Tamil word which means twisted, Thenkuzhal literal meaning is Tubes of honey, which it refer to its shape. Murukku is a popular snack in South India, everyone has their own style of making murukku. Lots of murukku varieties are there kai Murukku ( i am learning it :)), Manaparai Murukku, Mullu Murukku, Ragi Murukku, Chola Murukku, Thengaipal Murukku, Kara Murukku, etc. Thenkuzhal Murukku is a simple one made from rice flour and urad dal flour
I remember my childhood Diwali days, my mom starts doing festive snacks before a week of Diwali, murukku is the first snack. The festive mode starts from that time, she starts to make Thenkuzhal murukku. she makes in large numbers & share with neighbors, and store in a large tin. ( we call it Chambadam in Tamil ). We have it with tea in the evening. Also, We have murukku with sambar sadham, rasam satham as a sidedish.
Tips to make perfect Thenkuzhal Murukku:
- Sieve the Rice flour, Urad dal flour, Roasted gram flour. Make sure to use fine flour to avoid breaks while squeezing murukku.
- If you feel hard to squeeze, sprinkle little water and kneed well.
- If you feel too much ghee, sprinkle flour and knead well.
- Always fry the Thenkuzhal murukku in medium to low flame, so that it cooks uniformly.
- If you feel the oil is super hot, switch off the flame, cool down the oil, and make the other batch.
Check for more Festive recipes :
Come! I will share with you all how to make crispy Thenkuzhal murukku with step by step pictures
- 2 Cup Raw rice flour / Idiyappam Flour
- 1/4 Cup Urad dal flour
- 1/4 tsp Asafeotida
- 1/2 tsp Sessame seeds
- 1/2 tsp Cumin seeds
- 2 tbsp Ghee
- oil for deep fry
- salt and water required
- Take a bowl, add 2 cupof Rice flour,1/4 cup urad dal flour,asafoetida, salt, cumin seeds, sesame seeds Mix it well. Then add 2tbsp of ghee and mix well.
- Now, add the water gradually and make a dough.
- Take the murukku press, grease oil on the sides, place the hole plate at the bottom, ( i used 3 hole plate ) add the murukku dough squeeze the murukku.
- On the other side ,Heat enough oil in kadai to deep fry murukku.
- I used to squeeze the murukku in the ladle and gentle drop it in the oil and fry it to avoid heat in my hands.
- Gentle drop the squeezed murukku into the oil and fry it in medium to low flame, cook both sides and cook until the bubble stops and murukku turns a golden color.
- Repeat the same process with the remaining dough .
- Store it in an airtight container. have it in as a evening snack.
- Yummy crispy & tasty Thenkuzhal Murukku is ready !!
Step by step pictorial method of Thenkuzhal Murukku :
Step1 :Take a bowl, add the rice flour ,urad dal , asafoefida, salt, cumin seeds, seasame seeds and mix well
Step2 Add ghee and mix well.
Step 3 :Add water gradually and knead well to make a dough. If the dough is more sticky sprinkle some rice flour and bind well.
Step 4 :Heat enough oil in kadi to deep fry murukku.
Step 5: Take a murukku press grease it with oil in the sides and place the hole plate at the bottom(I used 3 hole plate) and add the murukku dough and squeeze it.
Step 6: I use to squeeze in the ladles and make murukku shape first, then I invert it in the oil. This is the way I use to make murukku to avoid heat in my hands.
Step 7 :Drop it in the oil and fry it in medium low flame.
Step 8: Turn the other side and cook until the bubbles stop and murukku turns a golden color.
Step 9: Drain the oil with the tissue paper and store it in an airtight container.
Step 10 :Repeat the same process with the remaining dough.
If you try this recipe, leave a comment below, let me know how it turns out for you.
Follow and Tag me @myclickandtick and #myclickandtick on Instagram.
Also, post your suggestions in the comment box below.
===> If you like my recipes. For more latest updates –>
Click the Subscribe button and verify it through your email.
Thanks for visiting my blog!! Welcome again!!