ULUNDHU VADAI RECIPE/ MEDU VADA RECIPE – Alternative names of Ulundhu vadai /Medu vada isUddina Vade, Medhu vada, Uddi vada, Minapa Garelu, Uzhunnu vada, Udid Vada, Ulundu Vadai, Urad vada, Ulundu wade, Urdi bara. 😮OMG !! many alternative names. For the first time, I am hearing such names. It is one of the popular recipes in south India for all special occasions, especially for Diwali.
People say that frying sounds should be heard at the home for Diwali. So it is a tradition to make Ulunthu Vadai on that auspicious day. It is an outer crispy & inner soft recipe. We can have this for breakfast along with Idly, Pongal, and Dosa or we can have it by ourselves. It is an excellent snack to go with coffee or tea.
I love ulundu vadai a lot. Before my marriage, my mom used to make it for me. After my marriage, I came to the UAE with my Husband. So I started to learn about making the fluffy batter, perfect shape vada, and everything from my mom through video calls. When I tried first, I use to shape vada using a banana leaf or plate. By practicing, I make the perfect shape with a hole in the freehand itself. It is an easy recipe to make.
Come!! I will share with you the step-by-step method of Making crispy and tasty Ulundu Vadai in a simple way.
Learning and Sharing are real happiness 😃
Tips to make Perfect ULUNDHU VADAI RECIPE/ MEDU VADA RECIPE
- If, you are using the wet grinder for grinding the vada batter, soak it, and grind well, you will get the perfect fluffy batter for vadai. (I prefer a wet grinder for making vada)
- For less quantity, we use a mixer grinder for grinding purposes, in such case, soak the urad dal for 1 hour and refrigerate it for another 30 min, then grind it, you will get perfect batter.
- Once the batter is ready, start immediately making vada( Do not store the batter in the refrigerator for later use, vada will consume more oil).
- Do not add too much water. At the beginning grind the soaked urad dal, then add water respectively and grind well.
- You are in the beginning stage of making vada, take a palm-size banana leaf to apply oil on it, place the batter and shape it and make a hole at the center and gently drop it in oil.
- Do not over-fry the vada in the oil. fry, until it turns a golden color.
ULUNDU VADAI /URAD VADA/MEDU VADA
- Wet grinder/Mixer grinder
- Cumin seeds -1/2 tsp
- Black pepper -1/2 tsp
- Rice Flour- 2 tbsp
- Urad dal- 1cup
- Shallots- ½ cup finely chopped
- Green chili- 2 finely chopped
- Ginger 1 inch finely chopped
- Curry leaves finely chopped
- Coriander leaves finely chopped
- Salt to taste.
- Baking soda small pinch
- Take 1 cup of urad dal (without skin) wash and soak it for at least 1 hour.
- After the urad dal soaked well .grind it well into a fluffy batter (Add little water and grind well ) Then, Transfer the batter into a bowl.
- Take a bowl with the urad batter.
- Add the chopped shallots, green chili, black pepper, cumin seeds, curry leaves, ginger, coriander leaves, Salt to taste, Mix well. Then, add 2 tbsp of Rice Flour in it and mix well. 📌Add salt little bit high (not too).
- Take a small pinch of baking soda in a spoon, add a few drops waters to dissolve, sprinkle it into the batter and mix well.
- Turn on the flame Take a pan with enough oil to fry.
- Dip the right hand into the water and make it wet. (📌 So, the batter will not stick in hand.)
- Now, Take a batter and make it as a small ball from your hand, press it gently to flatten it, make a hole by pressing in the center of the batter using thump Finger.
- Now the perfect shape Ulundu Vadai is ready to fry. Drop it gently into the oil and fry it. Then, turn the Vadai to the other side using and cook well. 📌 Note: care should be taken not to over fry it.
- Repeat the same process with the remaining batter and serve the crispy and tasty Ulundu Vadai with coconut chutney.
Similar veg recipes :
Pictorial step-by-step method of how to make ULUNDHU VADAI RECIPE/ MEDU VADA RECIPE :
Take 1 cup of urad dal (without skin) wash and soak it for at least 1 hour. After 1 hour, urad dal is soaked well.
Grind well into a fluffy batter. (Add little water for grinding).
Add chopped shallots, green chili, black pepper, cumin seeds, curry leaves, ginger, coriander leaves, Salt to taste. Mix well.
Then add Rice Flour and mix well. Take a small pinch of baking soda dissolve it with little water and sprinkle over the batter and mix well.
Turn on the flame, take a pan with enough oil to fry.
To make the perfect shape vada, firstly Dip the hand in the water, so that the batter won’t be sticky
Make a ball, flatten it, and then make a hole in the center with a thumb. this is the Perfect Medu vada shape
Drop the vada into the oil and cook until the sshhh.. sound stops. Then, turn to the other side and cook well until all the bubbles get reduced. Drain the oil and serve it. Repeat the same with the remaining batter.
Crispy! Soft and fluffy ULUNDHU VADAI RECIPE/ MEDU VADA RECIPE is ready to serve.
Serve it with Coconut chutney. Have it with hot Ginger tea in the evening and it is the best combo with ghee Pongal.
If you try this ULUNDHU VADAI RECIPE/ MEDU VADA RECIPE, leave a comment below, and let me know how it turns out for you.
Follow and Tag me @myclickandtick and #myclickandtick on Instagram.
Also, post your suggestions in the comment box below.
For more latest updates –>
Click the Subscribe button and verify it through your email.
Thanks for visiting my blog!! Welcome again!!