Coconut Milk Rice /Thengai Pal Sadham is one of the healthiest and tastiest rice recipes. It goes well with both veg & non-veg curry and truly satisfies the meal of the day! Here, I will explain to you all, how to make coconut rice in the pressure cooker method, which is more famous in the Indian state of Tamil Nadu. For making coconut milk rice, you can use regular rice or seeraka samba rice or basmati rice. I used regular rice to make this recipe. Adding Coconut milk extract, coconut oil will add flavor to the rice. I prefer mutton curry, mutton sukka , Aloo mutter curry, liver fr, Egg Masala fry along with coconut rice gives an amazing taste & it will stimulate your taste bud to want more and more.
Come!! I will share with you all the step by step procedure and pictorial method of making coconut rice.
Learning and Sharing is real Happiness!!!!!!
Coconut milk Rice
- Regular Rice-1½ cup-Water Ratio 1: 1.5
- Coconut oil -2 tbsp
- Ghee- 1 tbsp skip if you are vegan
- Mustard seeds- 1tsp
- Onion chopped- 1/2 cup
- Green Chilly -4
- Ginger Garlic paste-1tbsp
- Bay leaf -1
- Stone flower -3
- Cinnamon- 2 1-inch
- Star Anise -1
- Curry leaves- few
- Mint leaves- one full hand
- Salt- req
- Wash and soak the rice for 10 min.
- Take 1 ½ cup of grated coconut, add water, extract 1 ½ cup coconut milk.
- Heat a pressure cooker pan with coconut oil, ghee. add, mustard, curry leaves, cinnamon, cardamom, cloves, star anise, fennel seeds, and sauté it.
- Add ginger-garlic paste and sauté well until raw smell goes.
- Add chopped onion, green chilli. mint leaves, Saute well until onion turns glossy.
- Add 1 -1/2 cup coconut milk and 1cup water and mix well.
- Add Rice and Check for salt, Mix well.
- Close the lid and cook for 5 whistles in low flame for regular rice.
- Turn off the flame and rest for 10min.
Pictorial step by step Method:
- Heat a pressure cooker with oil, ghee, cinnamon, cloves, star anise, stone flower, bay leaves, cardamom, and sauté well.
- Add ginger & garlic paste and sauté well until raw the smell goes.
- Add green chili, chopped onion, salt. sauté well, until onion turns glossy.
- Add a mint leaf, sauté well.
- Add 1 -1/2 cup coconut milk and 1cup water and mix well. Cook for 2 min.
- Check for salt, close the lid, and cook for 5 whistles in low flame. turn off the flame and rest for 10 min.
Seeraka samba rice -3 whistle in low flame and rest 10 min )