Paal Kolukattai Recipe / Coconut milk rice dumplings is a popular traditional sweet recipe of South India. It’s my little sister’s favorite recipe. she will have the Paal Kolukattai for the whole day and refrigerate it the next day. she often asks mom to prepare this Paal Kolukattai. so, my mom makes rice flour in bulk quantity every 6 months and uses it for idiyappam, Kolukattai recipes. Making Multipurpose Rice flour is very easy, soon I will post the recipe. Here, I use Dry ginger Powder and it is a good remedy to treat cough, cold and helps in good digestion.
This is an easy version to make Paal Kolukattai by using homemade rice flour or with store-bought idiyappam flour. Sure, I will post the traditional method of making the Paal Kolukttai Recipe from the scratch.
Paal Kolukattai is the rich sweet recipe in Chettinad cuisine. Boiling the Rice ball dumplings with the sweet sauce is gives you richness to the dish.
I will share with you all, how to make an easy version to make Paal Kolukattai Recipe.
Tips to follow for perfect Paal Kolukattai Recipe :
- To knead a Flour use a boiled water. Make sure the rice dough should be smooth. if the dough is watery or sticky it will easily get dissolved, while adding in coconut milk.
- If you are using store kolukattai maavu. check whether salt is already added to the flour and avoid using salt to make dough.
- You can replace the jaggery powder by using white sugar.
- You can use desiccated coconut. also. if fresh coconut is not available however fresh coconut milk gives you the richness to the dish.
- Dissolve the rice flour prior to heating the water and milk to avoid lumps.
- Roll the kolukattai balls in small sizes .so that they could cook well in the milk sauce .
Paal Kolukattai Recipe
- 1 cup Rice Flour (raw rice flour)
- 1 tsp Sugar
- 1 cup Jaggery Powder
- A pinch of salt
- 1 tsp White Sugar
- 1 -1/2 cup Coconut milk
- 1/4 tsp cardamom powder
- 1/4 tsp Dry Ginger Powder
- 1 cup Milk for vegan add water instead milk
- Add the 1 cup coconut pieces with water to the blender. blend well and extract the coconut milk. keep it aside.
- Take a bowl with 1 cup of rice flour. On the other side, dissolve 1/2 tsp of sugar, a pinch of salt in the hot water, add gradually in the flour. Knead well and make dough.
- In a pan, add 1/4th quantity from the kneaded rice dough, dissolve it with 1 cup of water without any lumps and bring it to boil for 10 minutes by add adding 1 cup of milk. this is the base sauce for Kolukattai.
- With the remaining dough , take a small portion to make round-shaped balls -1/2 inch in size.
- Once the Rice sauce gets boiled, add the Kolukattai balls, Mix well and cook for 7 minutes. Then, add the coconut milk of 1-1/2 cup into the mixture and cook for 5 minutes.
- Once the Kolukattai gets cooked. Add the 1/2 cup of Jaggery powder, Mix well and cook for another 5 minutes. add 1/4 tsp of cardamom powder, 1/4 tsp of Dry Ginger powder. Give a mix and Serve it cool or Hot for an evening snack. Refrigerate and reheat it for the next day.
- Yummy! Delicious Pal Kolukattai Recipe is ready to serve for an evening snack or for breakfast or mid lunch or for Neivedhyam for poojas.
Similar Milk Sweet Recipes :
Step by Step of pictorial method to make Paal Kolukattai Recipe :
Take a bowl to add a cup of add rice flour. On the other side, dissolve 1/2 tsp of sugar, salt in the hot water and add it gradually to the rice flour. Knead well and make a smooth dough.
Add coconut pieces with water in the blender, blend well and extract the coconut milk. keep it aside.
In a pan, add the 1/4th quantity of the kneaded rice dough in the water, dissolve it without any lumps and bring it to boil for 10 minutes by add adding 1 cup of milk.
With the remaining dough, take a small portion and make round-shaped balls 1/2 inch in size.
Once the mixture gets boiled add the Kolukattai balls, mix well and cook for 7 minutes.
Then, add the coconut milk of 1-1/2 cup into the mixture and cook for 5 minutes.
Once the Kolukattai gets cooked. Add the 1/2 cup of Jaggery, Mix well and cook for another 5 minutes.
Yummy! Paal Kolukattai Recipe / Coconut milk rice dumpling is ready, add 1/tsp of cardamom powder, 1/4 tsp of Dry Ginger powder (optional). Give a mix and Serve it cool or Hot for an evening snack.
Yummy! Delicious! Paal Kolukattai Recipe is ready for pooja as Neivedhyam too.
If you try this Paal Kolukattai recipe, leave a comment below, let me know how it turns out for you.
Follow and Tag me @myclickandtick and #myclickandtick on Instagram.
Also, post your suggestions in the comment box below.
For more latest updates –>
Click the Subscribe button and verify it through your email.
Thanks for visiting my blog!! Welcome again!!