Cabbage stir fry / Muttaikose Poriyal – is a king of the cruciferous family of vegetables with impressive anti-cancer properties. Cabbage is of three types, green, red, and savoy. Green cabbage is pale on the outer to dark on the green inner side. red has purple leaves with white veins. red and green cabbage has crunchy leaves. savoy is yellowish color with a different taste than red and green cabbage. Normally inner leaves of the cabbage are protected from sunlight.
Cabbage stir fry / Muttaikose Poriyal is a mildly spiced stir fry vegetable side dish from south Indian cuisine. It is a simple recipe to cook within 15 min. Cabbage Poriyal is a mandatory vegetarian side dish in south Indian weddings. It can be done in a few mins, no preparation is needed except slicing the cabbage. slice the cabbage thinly with a knife or you can use a food processor. Each has its way of cooking this recipe.
You can make cabbage Poriyal in 2 ways. One is by adding lentils to it and secondly, by topping with freshly grated coconut which gives a different taste to the recipe. I used to make Cabbage stir fry / Muttaikose Poriyal twice a month on Fridays or Tuesdays along with rice – sambar combo. It goes nicely with rice sambar combo, Rice- Rasam combo. It’s comfort food and delicious to have!
Health Benefits of Cabbage :
- The cabbage family has more anti-cancer properties than any other vegetable.
- Intake of cabbage regularly lowers the rate of cancer, particularly lung, colon, prostate, and breast cancer.
- It is rich in essential vitamin C, vitamin B6, Vitamin K, saturated fat, folic acid, calcium, and iron.
Cabbage stir fry / Muttaikose Poriyal
- 1 tsp cooking oil
- 1 tsp mustard & urad dal
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- 2 nos green chilies
- 1 tbsp moong dal
- 350 grams cabbage 3 cups
- curry leaves
- Remove the outer layer of cabbage. slice the cabbage thinly and keep it aside.
- Slit the 2 green chilies. wash 1 tbsp of moong dal twice with the water and keep it aside.
- Heat a pan and add 1 tsp of cooking oil, once the oil gets heated up add the tsp of mustard & urad dal.
- once the mustard seeds pop up,add the slit green chilies and curry leaves.
- Add the washed moong dal, mix well and add salt. Then, cover with the lid by adding 1/4 cup of water and cook for 5 min on medium flame.
- Now, add the sliced cabbage and mix well. cover with the lid and cook for 8-9 min.
- Yummy ! cabbage poriyal is ready to serve.
I have already shared similar vegetable poriyal recipes to make in a few mins, bachelor-friendly recipes, do check the below recipe link.
Step-by-step pictorial method to make Cabbage stir fry / Muttaikose Poriyal:
- Remove the first layer of cabbage and discard it. slice the cabbage thinly as shown in the pictures.
2. Heat a pan to add oil, mustard urad dal. once the mustard gets cracked and pops out. add the curry leaves and green chiles and saute well.
Add the washed moong dal and salt. Mix well.
3. Add 1/ 4 cup of water cover it with a lid and cook for 5 min.
4. Once the moong dal is half cooked. add the sliced cabbage and mix well.
5. Check for salt and cover with the lid and cook for 8-9 min.
If you like, you can top the grated coconut and mix well.
yummy! cabbge poriyal is ready. Have it with rice sambar combo, Rice- Rasam.
Nutritional Values :
|Amount Per Portion||315 g|
|% Daily Value *|
|Total Fat 5.8g||7 %|
|Saturated Fat 3.9g||20 %|
|Sodium 224mg||10 %|
|Total Carbohydrate 24g||9 %|
|Dietary Fiber 8.6g||31 %|
|Protein 6.5g||13 %|
|Vitamin D 0mcg **||0 %|
|Calcium 151mg||12 %|
|Iron 3.7mg||21 %|
|Potassium 499mg **||11 %|
|* The % Daily Value (DV) tells you how much a nutrient in a serving of food contributes to a daily diet. 2000 calories a day is used for general nutrition advice.|
** Amount is based on ingredients that specify the value for this nutrient and 0 for those that don’t.
If you try this Cabbage stir fry / Muttaikose Poriyal recipe / Kaasara Kaaya stir fry, leave a comment below. Enjoy cooking
Follow and Tag me @myclickandtick and #myclickandtick on Instagram.
Also, post your suggestions in the comment box below.
For more latest updates –>
Click the Subscribe button and verify it through your email.
Thanks for visiting my blog!! Welcome again!!