Lemon rice / Elumichai Sadam recipe is a traditional recipe in South India. It’s a quick recipe to make in rush time. Want to pack lunch quickly? it’s the best recipe to do.
Lemon rice is pulling me back to my awesome childhood memories. we visit our kula Deivam temple(Valakkudai Ayyanar)once in a year on Maha Shivaratri I used to bunk 2 days for my school. Mom used to prepare the next day’s lunch, snacks, pooja things. Lemon rice, Puliyothari (tamarind rice) is a regular recipe on that day. Sometimes, mom adds Tomato rice, curd rice. My dad packs it in a perfect way with banana leaf, marking ‘L ’for Lemon rice &’P’ – Puliyotharai on top of packed foods, so it is easy to pick the foods while eating.
Lemon rice is an excellent recipe for picnic packing, it’s longlasting when it is prepared in a proper way. Our temple surrounded by a lot of trees. After the pooja, we start opening the packs to eat under the shade of trees. with fresh air along with pooja bananas, coconuts, snack, Potato Podimas (my mom’s signature recipe soon, I will share the recipe with you all) is the best combo ever. After my marriage, Lemon rice helps me on my lazy day with a boiled egg for packing lunch. My husband loves to have lemon rice with a boiled egg. So, it is an easy task for me to do.
Tips to make perfect Lemon rice / Elumichai Sadam recipe:
- Always use Fresh Lemon, which gives you complete aroma.
- Cook and use the grainy rice not smushy.
- Use gingerly oil & Add freshly chopped ginger & garlic, It will enhance the flavor of the lemon rice.
- Turn off the stove and add lemon juice. Do not overheat lemon juice it gives a bitter taste.
Similar Lunch box recipes
LEMON RICE / ELUMICHAI SADAM RECIPE
- 3 Cup Cooked Rice
- 2 tbsp Gingerly oil or Any Cooking oil
- 5 Nos Indian Lemon Extract Juice
- 2 inches Ginger Finely chopped
- 6 cloves Garlic Finely Chopped
- ½ tsp Mustard Seeds
- ½ tsp Urad dal
- 1 tsp Cumin seeds
- 1 tbsp Channa Dal
- 2 tbsp Roasted Peanuts
- ¼ tsp Asafoetida
- ½ tsp Turmeric powder
- 4 Nos Green chilies
- 1 No Dried Red Chilli
- Few Curry leaves
- Required Salt
- Heat the pan to add oil , mustard seeds, Urad dal, ginger, garlic, green chillies, Cumin seeds and saute it for 1 min. Now add Channa dal, Peanuts, curry leaves, roast well until the dals turn a gollden brown color.
- In Low flame, Add the turmeric powder, Asefoetida, Salt to taste, Saute it for a few seconds.
- Turn off the flame, Add the lemon juice and mix well. Lemon Rice Paste is ready. you can store and use it for 3 days in a refrigerator.
- Mix the Lemon rice paste to the warm Cooked Rice and serve it warm with Aloo mutter curry, Potato fry,
Step by step pictorial method of Lemon rice/Elumichai Sadam Recipe
Step1: Wash the Lemon, Cut it into two half, squeeze it, and extract the lemon juice, Discard seeds. finely chop the Garlic, Ginger, slit the green chilies.
Step 2:Heat the oil in the pan, once oil heats, add mustard seeds, urad dal, channa dal, garlic ginger green chilies,Red chiles and saute for a min
Step3: Now add the channa dal Peanuts, curry leaves,and roast well until the dal turns golden brown color.
Step4 :In low flame, Add the turmeric powder, Asafoetida, salt and mix well.
Step 5: Turn off the flame and add the lemon juice and mix well. Lemon rice paste is ready. you can store it and use it for 3 days in a refrigerator.
Step 6: Add the Lemon rice paste to the cooked rice and gently mix it.
Yummy Lemon rice /Elumichai Satham recipe is ready to serve. Serve it with Aloo mutter curry, potato fry, the Boiled egg.
If you try this recipe, leave a comment below, let me know how it turns out for you.
Follow and Tag me @myclickandtick and #myclickandtick on Instagram.
Also, post your suggestions in the comment box below.
===> If you like my recipes. For more latest updates –> Click the Subscribe button and verify it through your email.
Thanks for visiting my blog!! Welcome again!!